Monday, April 19, 2010

Sana Sort of Helwa


We celebrated two office birthdays this afternoon with cake. Like most non-Egyptian sweets in Cairo, the cake was both enormous and not very good. If you've ever wiped up spilled chocolate milk with a sponge and then eaten the sponge, you have a pretty good idea of how it tasted. If you've ever had a nightmare in which you're an 18th century French aristocrat fleeing murderous peasants in your elaborate and overgrown garden, you have an idea of what the cake looked like, especially if there's sliced kiwi all over your garden.

For my birthday, I am going to demand something a little more authentic, like the above Sphinx cake.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the loads of sugary syrup glaze.

    This reminds me, I need to post that Fata Feat video of the Kenny G fruit salad and torched cream collaboration. I guess it's too overdone to stick to honey and nut based desserts, it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry. I'll make one for you. How do you feel about a princess castle?

    ReplyDelete